22 June 2012

Scotland reads...

Returning home to the rather taxing (though, I'm thinking, also pretty marvelous) The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov, our Manchester Book Club read this month, I was doubly, triply glad that I took some 'light' book choices on our hols to Scotland with me. We took far too many books and board games in hindsight, planning for a week of terrible weather and being cooped up in sleeping bags. Instead, we were greeted with this:


Hot Cows

A week that was supposed to be all about reading (albeit Victoria Hislop-style fluff) Cluedo and cold pasta became one of sunshine, sheep and beer and between bouts of hiking and sunbathing I managed to finish the deeply disturbing (in the best way possible) Never Let Me Go and Andrea Levy's Small Island, a book I've been meaning to get around for ages and struck just the right holiday chord. 

I also promised a yurt photograph, so here we go, a yurt and a Relish getting stuck into the cider and a good read (photography courtesy of The Seed™):



(NB: On Saturday we spent the day wandering around the gorgeous Glasgow for the Voltaire and Rousseau Bookshop, which, partially due to my stubbornness and partially due to the humid weather, we completely failed to find. Although, if you do happen to be up that way, pay a visit and tell us what it's like! Looking at the winding streets on the map I don't feel too guilty for our failure now...)

5 comments:

  1. What gorgeous weather and what a blissful setting. I'm now very, very jealous. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was ridiculous weather! Sounds like the Hebrides were the only part of the UK with any sun last week :-D Lucky!!

      Delete
  2. Pleased to hear you made it up to my home ground of Glasgow and, even more pleased, that the weather was good. What a difference that makes. It's a shame you didn't make it to Voltaire and Rousseau. Like all second hand bookshops it is quirky but given that it's in the West End (students, professors arty-types etc and good Glasgow folk) it always has a wonderful selection of fiction. Ah well, next time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pleased to hear you made it up to my home ground of Glasgow and, even more pleased, that the weather was good. What a difference that makes. It's a shame you didn't make it to Voltaire and Rousseau. Like all second hand bookshops it is quirky but given that it's in the West End (students, professors arty-types etc and good Glasgow folk) it always has a wonderful selection of fiction. Next time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh don't remind me :) It was a painful experience on a very warm day! :-D However, it certainly won't be our last trip. Perhaps I could get some directions from your kind self next time :) Glasgow is a great city.

      Delete